NEWSCAST: Tuesday, July 14th, 2020
- Western University’s fall semester is under two-months away. But some students say they are confused over their first tuition payment and ancillary fees.
- Developed by a pair of Western students, Smile Masks are partly transparent face coverings that allow the wearer to speak, emote and make themselves understood by people who need to both see and hear you.
- Taylor Bardell and Matthew Urichuk, both in combined Masters/Ph.D. programs in the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders, conceived of Smile Masks soon after the pandemic started.
LOCAL AND NATIONAL:
- Londoners and those in other areas entering Stage 3 of the province’s reopening plan can get back to some normalcy with gyms, movie theatres, and playgrounds all included in the next step.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Finance Minister Bill Morneau have issued apologizes for not removing themselves from conversations about granting WE Charity a sole-sourced contract to run the now-halted $900 million COVID-19 student volunteer program, given their personal connections to the organization.
- The Washington NFL franchise announced on Monday that it is dropping the "Redskins" name and Indian head logo, bowing to recent pressure from sponsors and decades of criticism that they are offensive to Native Americans.
- COVID-19 has forced the cancellation of Canada's biggest marathon. The Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, which was scheduled for Oct. 18 and traditionally draws Canada's top runners because of its fast course, has been canceled due to health and safety concerns.
- More than 200 universities are backing a legal challenge to the Trump administration’s new restrictions on international students, arguing that the policy jeopardizes students’ safety and forces schools to reconsider fall plans they have spent months preparing.
- Expect the temperatures to be ranging between 14 and 27 degrees Celsius today. It will be a sunny day.