NEWSCAST: Thursday, July 23rd, 2020
- An online petition asking the USC to reopen negotiations for LTC bus passes surged in popularity, gaining over 3,000+ signatures in less than 24 hours.
- The petition began circulating on Sunday after the University Students’ Council announced their discounted bus pass rates of $263 will only be paid by and given to students who have in-person classes.
LOCAL AND NATIONAL:
- A mandatory mask bylaw passed by city councilors in London, Ont., on Tuesday night comes with some hefty penalties for those flouting the new rules, but it seems unlikely that the city will be issuing fines any time soon.
- New measures will be introduced at B.C. restaurants, bars, and nightclubs amid rising COVID-19 numbers, according to provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix.
- The state of Pennsylvania won't allow the Toronto Blue Jays to play at PNC Park in Pittsburgh amid the coronavirus pandemic, health officials announced on Wednesday.
- Liverpool finally lifted the Premier League Trophy after 30 years on Wednesday. Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson lifted the Premier League trophy in a spectacular ceremony at Anfield.
- U.S. President Donald Trump announced a plan on Wednesday to send federal agents to the Democratic-run cities of Chicago and Albuquerque, N.M., to crack down on violent crime in an escalation of his "law and order" theme heading into the final months before the presidential election.
- Expect the temperatures to be around 27 degrees Celsius today. It will be a sunny day. On Friday, expect the temperatures to be around 28 degrees Celsius with a fair chance of precipitation.