NEWSCAST - Wednesday 5th August 2020
- 2020 marks the debut year of the Experiential Learning Innovation Scholars Program supporting the work of five innovative professors.
The program provides $20,000 across two years in each of the four projects, to help professors design novel courses with their students, and then share what they’ve learned with the academic and broader community.
- Two Western researchers have received funding for partnership research projects that will help understand and prevent the spread of COVID-19.
LOCAL AND NATIONAL:
- No new coronavirus cases were reported on Tuesday by officials with the Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU). The region’s total case count remains at 679. Three people were reported to have recovered, bringing that total to 591. The death toll has remained unchanged since June 12 at 57.
- Community legal clinics in Ontario, including in London, are asking for the federal government to fork out some money to help offset the massive financial hole the COVID-19 pandemic has created in their funding model.
-Australia’s second-largest city, Melbourne, is grappling with a spiralling coronavirus outbreak that has led to lockdown with some of the toughest restrictions in the world — offering a preview of what many urban dwellers elsewhere could confront in coming weeks and months.
- On Thursday, expect a temperature of 24 degrees with cloudy skies. Moving onto Friday expect temperatures to be 26 degrees with cloudy skies. Expect temperatures to be at a max. Of 22 degrees.