NEWSCAST - Wednesday, February 27, 2019
- Researchers at Western University and Lawson Health Research Institute are using tobacco plants as ‘green bioreactors’ to produce an anti-inflammatory protein with powerful therapeutic potential.
- The researchers have shown in a recent study published in the journal Plant Cell Reports, that the protein can be extracted and quantified from the plant cells in a way that maintains its function. Now that they’ve shown they can produce the protein in tobacco, it can be translated to other plants, like potatoes.
- The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) confirmed that 13 licensed businesses, including Richmond Tavern, Palasad, and London Music Hall, will be allowed to extend their hours to serve drinks until 4a.m. when the Junos come to London.
- Any London sites who are allowed extended hours to serve drinks are part of the Junofest events, or hosting exclusive industry events.
- Third-year guard Omar Shiddo scored a game-high 30 points and fourth-year forward Marko Kovac added 25 points in a heartbreaking 89-88 season-ending loss to the Brock Badgers in OUA West semi-final action on Saturday afternoon.
- The loss brings to a conclusion what was an impressive season for the Mustangs that saw the team finish the regular season at 16-8, good for second overall in the tough OUA West conference.
- Tonight the Western Mustangs women’s hockey team continues their defence of their Judy McCaw Provincial Championship, with Game #1 tonight of the OUA Semi-Finals against the Toronto Varsity Blues. If you can’t make it to Thompson Arena, don’t worry, you can listen to the game here on your “original voice of the Western Mustangs” 94.9fm starting at 6:50pm as our pregame show sets you up for the 7pm puck drop.
- Expect some sun tomorrow with a temperature of negative 3 degrees, feeling more like negative 6. Moving into Friday, the weather warms up with a temperature of 4 degrees and some sun. It is currently negative 9 degrees with snowfall.