NEWSCAST - Friday, August 30th, 2019
- As the fall term begins, drivers using roads on Western’s campus throughout the first week of September are being asked to take note of traffic disruptions and expected delays.
- University Bridge and sections of Lambton Drive, Huron Drive and Philip Aziz Avenue will be closed to vehicular traffic from 6 p.m.-2 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 3 until Saturday, Sept. 7.
- Several campus parking lots will be affected. Huron Flats, South Valley and Talbot parking lots will also be closed to vehicular traffic from 6 p.m.-2 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 3 until Saturday, Sept. 7 each night. Individuals using these lots are requested to have their vehicles out of the lots by 6 p.m. from Sept. 3 to Sept. 7.
- The bridge and roadways will remain open to cyclists and pedestrians, LTC buses will be rerouted.
- During the evening bridge and road closings London Transit Commission (LTC) buses will be detouring their routes off of University Drive Bridge. Starting at 6 p.m. during Orientation Week, LTC Routes 6, 13 and 106 will be detoured off University Drive Bridge.
- Students, faculty, and staff with mobility limitations should contact Accessibility Services at email@example.com or 519-661-2111, extension 85501. For Students with Disabilities call 519-661-2147 (9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday to Friday) to arrange for assistance. Students currently using the Western Accessible Transportation Service (WATS), there is no change in your service.
- A London church is helping tackle the city's worsening poverty problems by building dozens of affordable apartments in the northwest area of the city.
- Gateway Church received city council's blessing last month to build two L-shaped buildings with a total of 80 apartments units, 55 of which will be offered at an affordable rate on a five-acre parcel of land on London's Bluegrass Drive.
- Most of the rents will be kept to a thousand dollars and under. The exact rate will be determined by the City of London.
- the property will also include parks, gazebos, a soccer pitch, a splash pad and a skating rink in the winter.
- Most people couldn't tell the difference between the affordable housing Gateway Church was trying to build and the geared-to-income housing offered by public housing agencies in places, such as Limberlost Boulevard or Boulee Street.
- It means neighbours living in the new units won't have any idea who is paying rent at or below the market rate.
- Gateway Church hopes to get shovels in the ground within the next year, with the first tenants moving in by 2021.
- This long weekend will see the FC London women on the road for the League 1 Ontario Finals.
- Tomorrow the women will faceoff the Oakville Blue Devils. the 7pm kickoff will be at the Ontario Soccer Cetnre in Woodbridge.
- On Monday, our Western Mustangs will be hosting the Queens Gaels. The homeopener will see the return of steve snbyder as the head coach for the gaels. You can catch the game live on 94.9FM or radiowestern.ca/stream. Kick off at 7:30pm
- This long weekend will see fairly good weather except for sunday and the early hours of monday when we except some showers.
- Today’s afternoon high of 23 will feel like 25. Tomorrow will be a cooler day with sunday being the coldest at 20c. The claer blue skies will return in time for the monday night football.