Media Credit: Emma Fairgrieve
NEWSCAST - Wednesday, September 4th, 2019
- A recent Western study may have found a link between a sense of purpose and rural homlessness. Western researcher professor Carrie Anne Marshall’s study has been focusing on Prince Edward County, Ontario. Individuals in rural communities are offered few resources when it comes to homlessness.
- Many on the streets can be linked to mental illness or substance use. Marshall believes that having those with mental illness on the streets is putting their mental health at a greater risk. She’s been working on a new model that gives those struggling a sense of purpose.
- The model includes having up to 20 individuals living together and creating a small business.
- Marshall believes that a sense of belonging can improve homelessness and hopes to see more models like hers across the province.
- The woman involved in the old east village explosion on August 14 is set to appear in court today.
- Daniella Leis, 23, of Kitchener, Ont., faces 12 charges in total, including:
- Four counts of impaired driving causing bodily harm.
- Four counts of driving above the legal limit.
- Four counts of criminal negligence causing bodily harm.
- The blast injured four firefighters, destroyed three houses and badly damaged 10 homes. Nearly 100 homes were evacuated immediately after the blast.
- However, the crisis has also set about a massive outpouring of support and donations from the community including 30,000 dollars from Tim Hortons.
- On Sept 8th a silent auction will be held at the Union Ten Distilling Co. in Old East Village.
- Proceeds from this auction will go towards the first responders injured at the scene.
- Canadian favourite Bianca Andreescu swept American Taylor Townsend 6-1, 4-6, 6-2 to advance to the US open quarter finals.
- Today the 19 year old Mississauga Ontario native steps into the final-eight meeting with No. 25 seed Elise Mertens of Belgium.
- Meanwhile on the other side of the globe in China, the Canadian men were eliminated at the FIBA World Cup after a tough 92-69 loss to Lithuania.
- A mix of sun and clouds today with a high of 19. Temperatures are expected to drop to 10 degrees later this evening.
- Tomorrow warming back up to a high of 21 with mostly sun.
- Closing of the week, Friday is calling for a chance of showers with a high of 22 degrees.