NEWSCAST - Tuesday, September 10, 2019
- Today is USC Day 2019.
- From 11 AM to 2 PM today, there will be performers and booths on Concrete Beach, all about your student government: the University Students’ Council, or USC.
- Regardless of whether or not you’ve been involved with the USC in the past, this event is a great opportunity for everyone to find out what the USC does and the opportunities it has to offer you.
- A Professor in Western University’s department of Political Science is in the running to become the next leader of the Ontario Liberal Party.
- Kate Graham is a Western Graduate, current professor of Political Science, and fellow of Canada 2020, a major think tank.
- She has now put her hat into the ring in the contest for a new leader of Ontario’s Liberal Party.
- The Liberals held government for over 15 years, before being decimated in the 2018 Provincial Election.
- This is not Prof. Graham’s first entry into politics, as was previously the Liberal candidate for London-North Centre in the 2018 election, but was defeated by current MPP Terence Kernaghan.
- Four Western students living on Broughdale Avenue have each been fined $1130 under new city bylaws which aim to reduce street parties.
- On Friday night police were called to a party on Broughdale which had as many as 300 people in attendance.
- Under the bylaw, fines as much as $25,000 can be levied against anyone who holds or attends a party which officers deem to be a nuisance.
- These bylaws were put into place after last year’s “fake-homecoming” event, which was criticized by both the City and University administration.
- This weekend your Mustangs Men’s Football improved to 3-0 after defeating the McMaster Marauders 34-17.
- McMaster was coming off two victories of their own. This was clearly the Mustangs' toughest opponent so far.
- Our own Steve Kopp caught up with fifth year quarterback Chris Merchant on his impressive “Pony Express” which saw him receive a 15 yard touchdown pass from Brett Ellerman.
- Steve Kopp also caught up with Head Coach Greg Marshall who took him through the game
- The Mustangs' next game will be next Saturday the 14th of September for the annual black-out game, in which the Mustangs will be wearing their all-black uniforms. For this game the Carleton Ravens will be coming to town.
- Kickoff is at 7:00 pm and your original voice of the western mustangs will be broadcasting the game live at 6:50pm. Tune into 94.9 FM or stream live on radiowestern.ca/stream.
- Today, expect a high of 26 degrees with partly sunny skies into the afternoon.
- Tonight, expect a high of 21 degrees with risk of thunderstorms and a 70% chance of precipitation.
- Moving into Wednesday expect a high of 27 degrees, feeling more like 36 degrees with a strong risk of thunderstorms.