NEWSCAST: Thursday, August 13th, 2020
- International students will begin arriving from today i.e., 13th August 2020 until 18th August 2020 for the fall term. All international students are required to mandatorily quarantine themselves for 14 days.
- Arrangements for the same have been made in various on campus as well as off-campus residences keeping in mind all health and safety guidelines.
LOCAL AND NATIONAL:
- The Middlesex London Health Unit reported four new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, the highest daily count since the end of July.
There were no deaths reported. The local total is now at 691 cases, with 98 percent considered resolved, according to numbers from the health unit.
- Five northern community broadband projects in the N.W.T., Yukon and northern Manitoba will share in $72 million of Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) Broadband Fund money.
- Paris St-Germain scored two late goals in a sensational comeback against Atalanta to reach the Champions League semi-finals for the first time in 25 years.
- Simon Fraser University (SFU) is dropping the name of its varsity athletic teams, effective immediately after dozens of student-athletes and faculty spent years pressuring school executives to make the change.
- Presumptive Democratic nominees Joe Biden and Kamala Harris delivered an aggressive one-two attack on the character and performance of U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday, as they made their election case for the first time as running mates.
- Expect the temperatures to be around 31 degrees Celsius today. It will be a sunny day. On Friday, expect the temperature to be around 29 degrees Celsius.