London Jr. Mustangs Football

Jr. Mustangs Sweep the Long Weekend

London Jr. Mustangs Football

Greg Bowman

The London Jr. Mustangs were all over the place over the long weekend, with games across London in addition to two road games.



The atom Jr. Mustangs team took their 1-0 record on the road to the GTA, with a battle against the Vaughan Rebels on Victoria Day. London continued its dominance, trouncing the Rebels 51-0. The Mustangs have now scored 102 points over the first two games, and have yet to give up a point in the 2019 summer season.

Peewee Orange (12 v 12)

The peewee orange Jr. Mustangs team was also in Vaughan over the weekend, also coming away with a win over the Rebels 48-0. That moved them to 2-0 on the season, also not giving up a point and scoring 120 points over their own.

Peewee Blue (9 v 9)

The peewee blue team had a game at City Wide Field against the Hamilton Jr. Tiger-Cats, searching for their first win of the season. They would get win #1 with a 54-18 win against Hamilton to move them to 1-1 on the year.


After a crushing loss in their first game against the Essex Ravens, the Bantam Jr. Mustangs were looking for their first win of the season back at TD Stadium against the Cambridge Lions. Ben Kurbegovic hauled in two long TD passes from DJ Fonti, while Ethan Tran picked two touchdowns of their own. Tyrell Campbell also had a rushing touchdown and an interception for the Jr. Mustangs in their 36-6 win over the Lions.

Junior Varsity

The JV Jr. Mustangs were looking to move to 2-0 against the Cambridge Lions in the next game at TD Stadium on Saturday. After a scoreless first quarter, the Mustangs erupted for 26 points in the second quarter en route to a 36-0 win. Keyshaun Cuff was a force on defence with a number of sacks and tackles for losses. Mack Baker had one rushing touchdown, and had two passing, finding Jamie Lane and Carl Collinson for long connections.

Senior Varsity

The OPFL powerhouse senior varsity Jr. Mustangs were looking to extend their winning streak that dates back to 2016 against a strong Cambridge Lions team. The Lions had the edge early, picking up a few touchdowns and a pick-six to lead 25-2 at halftime. The Mustangs came storming back though, with Dante Nichols picking up three touchdowns on the ground to draw the Mustangs within two points. Then, Curtis Minifie snagged an interception that he returned for a touchdown to give London their first lead of the game 31-25. Cambridge fought back though, scoring the game-tying touchdown with just over a minute left in the fourth quarter. On the ensuing Mustangs’ drive, Nichols broke free for a huge gain that put his team in field goal range. Brian Garrity knocked a 35-yard kick through the uprights with 45 seconds remaining to put the Mustangs ahead 34-31. Mohsen Jamal sealed the win with a game-ending interception on Cambridge’s final drive, keeping London’s unbeaten streak.




Photography by: Navaneeth Mohan