NEWSCAST: Thursday, June 25th, 2020
- The USC is gearing up to provide a different kind of student experience this fall as the majority of courses — and students — prepare to move online. While much is still uncertain as the executive team weighs its options for fall programming, popular events like OWeek and Purple Fest hang in the balance.
- Western astronomers may have spotted six new moons orbiting planets in solar systems far from our own – it is an otherworldly discovery and so, it must wait on future technologies to confirm.
LOCAL AND NATIONAL:
- Londoners continue to line up for COVID-19 testing in large numbers and the results show signs that the region is on the right path to reducing infections.
- Premier Doug Ford announced a plan to reopen parts of Windsor-Essex, which until now has been the only region not cleared to move to the next phase of reopening due to stubbornly high COVID-19 case numbers among migrant workers on farms in the region.
- Liverpool moved within two points of the Premier League title after returning to their irrepressible best to beat Crystal Palace 4-0.
- Top-ranked tennis star Novak Djokovic tested positive for the coronavirus after he took part in an exhibition series he organized in Serbia and Croatia.
- Volunteers have begun being immunized with a new UK coronavirus vaccine. Tests in animals suggest the vaccine is safe and triggers an effective immune response. Additionally, experts at Oxford University have already started human trials.
- Expect the temperatures to be ranging between 16 degrees and 22 degrees Celsius today. There is a 40% chance of precipitation along with a risk of a thunderstorm throughout the day.