NEWSCAST: Friday, October 16th, 2020
- Ontario reported another 712 cases of COVID-19 today with an additional 713 recoveries and almost 39,000 tests done.
- Earlier on Friday, Ontario University Athletics (OUA) and U SPORTS each announced the cancellation of regular- and post-season games for the winter sports season up to March 31, 2021.
- Despite the cancellations, Western continues to support student-athletes and deliver a superior experience through individual and team training sessions offered virtually
LOCAL AND NATIONAL:
- The Middlesex-London Health Unit reported five new COVID-19 cases on Friday, while Lambton Public Health is reporting two new outbreaks.
- Premier Doug Ford's government is revoking a policy that for the past decade has forced Ontario school boards to hire only from a pool of teachers with the most seniority.
- Canadians Denis Shapovalov and Milos Raonic have advanced to the semifinals of the St. Petersburg Open. Shapovalov will face No. 3 seed Andrey Rublev in the semifinals on Saturday.
- Expect the temperatures to be ranging between 4 and 10 degrees Celsius today. The day will experience a mix of clouds and sunshine.